Preparing your quilt for machine quilting.
Piece your top carefully. The flatter the
top is, the better it will quilt up.
Trim away any stray threads on the top as well as the backing.
- Press your top and backing carefully.
- Your backing will loaded onto the machine with the seams running horizontal.
- Backing must be at least 4” longer on all sides.
- Ensure your backing is square (90degree corners parallel to
sides). Wonky edges are hard to attach
to the quilting machine.
- Don’t pin or baste your quilt.
- If your top is directional, mark the top edge with a pin and
a sticky note stating so.
- Remove any embellishments.
Reattach them after the quilting is complete.
- Leave the cutting of scalloped edges until after the
quilting is complete.
- Stay stitch 1/8” around pieced border to prevent seams from opening.